Local History
'Working to preserve the rich heritage of the Temecula Valley'
Visit Old Town Temecula
Historic Old Town Temecula Tour Guide
Download   (pdf)
<-- First National Bank of Temecula
   Located on the former site of Hugh McConville's livery stable, this cement building was open for business by June 10th, 1914. Hugo Guenther and Albert Nienke were two who served on the first Board of Directors. Eli Barnett was the first President. (Notice the original hitching posts and granite curbing.) In 1943 the bank closed its doors and the building served in other capacities ever since. It has been a Mexican Restaurant since 1978.
The Welty Building  (Ramona Inn) -->
   Built by R.J. Welty in the 1890's and used as a storehouse and a store. In 1908 Joe Winkels bought it and opened his hotel., "The Ramona Inn." It contained a bar, pool tables, card tables, slot machines, a boxing ring, and rooms to rent upstairs with bulldog and badger fights out back. Many celebrities visited the "blind pig" at the Inn during Prohibition. Later names included: "The Stallion," and "The Stables."
<-- The Burnham Store
   Built in the early 1890's from fired Temecula bricks. First owner, Philip Pohlman, sold this general store around 1902 to George A. Burnham who ran it until the mid 1920's when Paul Ware took over the operation, eventually marrying Burnham's daughter, Ethel. Family members continued to run the store until 1953. The building has also held an auto repair shop, and much later, an antique business. In 1969 it became the Temecula Mercantile. This reconstructed building is now a small art gallery and theatre.
The Hotel Temecula  (Welty Hotel) -->
   The second of two hotels built on this site by R.J. and Mary Jane Welty. After the first hotel was destroyed by fire in 1891, the present building was erected the same year. Both hotels owned and operated by the Welty family for a total of over thirty years. Later, owner Grace LeClare operated it as both an apartment house and hotel. It was a private residence from 1960, when it was purchased by local historian Horace Parker and his wife Leverne, until 2015. Other names: Fronie Hotel, Temecula Hotel.
   Now serving as a Historic Hotel.
<-- The Palomar Inn Hotel
   Built around 1927 it opened for business in 1928 as the "Hotel McCulloch" after owner Lena McCulloch. Later names included "Hotel Palomar" and the "The Palomar Inn". The hotel was the site in 1967 for the first episode of "The Invaders" titled The Beachhead. It once contained a drug store, soda fountain, town phone switchboard, and the post office. The Thunderbird totem was placed by Bob Majeski who purchased the hotel in 1954. It has endured historic floods and is currently operating as a European style boutique hotel.